Black bean chili with ground elk

Decided I wanted to try my hand at chili, esp as the weather is getting wet and cold, but didn't want to make regular chili. So I pulled some ground elk out of the freezer and set some black beans to soaking.

Don't have specifics on measurements, so here is an approximation for most:
3-4 cups black beans, dried
1 lb ground elk
4 cups turkey stock
1 heaping dollop garlic
1 onion, diced
chili seasoning mix
salt
1 large tomato, diced

 I put the beans in my 6 qt crock pot, rinsed them, drained and then covered them with water and let them soak over night. The next morning they filled the crock to a bit over half.

I put the crock in the cooker after draining off the water. I then added 4 cups of turkey stock (you can use beef stick, vegetable stock or simply water. I have LOTS of turkey stock in the freezer). While that was heating up I diced the onion and sauteed it in a little olive oil. Added those to the pot and then browned the elk.

I didn't need to drain the elk, it is very lean. In fact I had to add a little oil when I started browning it. So into the pot went the elk, followed by a can of tomato sauce, half a can of water, a few pinches of kosher salt and a big dollop of already diced garlic (my favorite cheat). I then started sprinkling in some chili seasoning I was given a while back then let the crock pot do it's job.

 I would periodically check to see how the seasoning was and added more until it was to just where I could taste it. Since the hubby can't do spicy I did have to keep this fairly mild tho it was enough to get hubby's attention.

 I then diced up a very large home grown tomato I was given and into the pot it went and more simmering was to be had.

 Having to smell it all afternoon was enough to drive you crazy, it smelled so good. But the wait was worth it. A little cheese and a dollop of sour cream on top and it was a dinner to die for. I made enough for lunches this week and to have some stashed in the freezer for a quick dinner on a cold night.

Comments

Popular Posts