Faux crab cakes - take 1 Krab

So the hubby had a hankering for crab cakes the other day, but crab is so not in the budget. I looked online to see what I could find for recipes and found a couple using tuna fish and the fake crab. So we hit the store and picked up what we needed and Sunday I tried the first recipe using the fake crab.

I flaked half a pound of the krab and then mixed in two eggs I had beaten. Followed that with a generous teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning (which is what got hubby on the crab cake kick in the first place. We'd just watched Ace of Cakes where they did a cake for Old Bay), about a quarter cup of mayonnaise and one cut up green onion. I then added in some plain bread crumbs (I don't have an exact measurement as at this point I was using the recipes on the web purely as a guide) until I had what I thought was the right consistency. I chilled the mixture for about a half hour to let it set up.

I heated up some veggie oil in the cast iron skillet and proceeded to make krab cakes. The cakes didn't want to hold together too well, so I had fun getting them into the skillet. I either used too much bread crumbs or not enough mayo or egg as binders. But I managed:

Faux crab cakes - take 1 Krab


Once they were done (I was aiming for golden brown and delicious, but ended up more dark brown and delicious), I drained them on a paper towel and then we gave them a try. For fake crab cakes , they were quite yummy and made a nice Sunday evening snack when we didn't really want a full meal.

Faux crab cakes - take 1 Krab


So that experiment was a success, so the next to try was the tuna version on Monday night.

Comments

Popular Posts