Huckleberry muffins



One of my favorite Christmas traditions is blueberry muffins for Christmas morning breakfast. I'd planned on them for this year, but discovered the night before the blueberries I had stashed in the deep freeze were dead. So it was Christmas Eve, the stores were closed and I had no blueberries.

So I decided to change tactics and go with some huckleberry jam in the middle. I made the muffins from scratch and then added the jam and then baked. I think I have a new tradition for next year.

Sweet Muffins:

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil or melted shortening
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 40oF

Beat egg slightly with fork and stir in milk and oil. Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the liquid. Stir until moist, batter will be lumpy.

Put some batter into cup of muffin tin, add a dollop of jam and then more batter. Batter should fill cup 2/3 cup full. Bake for 20 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts