Bok Choy with Onions, Cilantro and Roasted Peanuts

Bok choi with onions, roasted peanuts and steak


Except I didn't have any cilantro, so I didn't use it.

Bok Choy with Onions, Cilantro and Roasted Peanuts

4 tbsp whole roasted peanuts
1 tsp red pepper flakes
pinch of salt
1 large bunch of bok choy
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 tsp minced ginger
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch mixed in 3 tbsp water
1 cup chopped cilantro

Heat a teaspoon of peanut oil for about 1 minute and add in the peanuts, pepper flakes pinch salt. Set aside.

Slice the stems off of 1 bunch of bok choi, and cut them into ½ inch pieces. Leave the leaves whole, or if they are very large cut in half crosswise. Heat the rest of the oil until very hot(smoking) then add the onion and ginger and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add the bok choi stems and leaves and stir-fry until wilted and glossy, about 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce and cornstarch mixture and cilantro and stir-fry for another minute. Add the peanut mixture and serve warm.

--

I did discover that if you burn red pepper flakes, they get seriously lethal. I also didn't have peanut oil and used canola instead. I will either get peanut oil or else soy bean oil, it also has a high smoke point and is considerably less pricey then the peanut oil.

I also used some walla walla sweets I had stashed in the freezer since regular onions are a bit problematic for me to eat in any great amount.

But all in all, I will make this again, tho I'll use less red pepper flakes as it was almost too hot for hubby. Not so hot he couldn't eat it, but just a smidge to much.

Served it with steak and it was very yummy. I had a flash of doing bok choi with a lemon sauce, so will work on that for next time.

But lunch today was very yummy :)

Comments

Popular Posts