Churkey burgers

Because we have to watch the fat in hubby's diet for a while and he LOVES burgers, I decided to attempt turkey burgers again. The first time round we found them to be too dry, no matter what I did. Turkey just doesn't have enough fat for a decent burger. So I got the great idea to grind up some boneless, skinless chicken thighs to mix in.

So I pulled some thighs out of the deep freeze (4 of them) and thawed them in the microwave. I then popped them into the food processor and pulsed them until they were ground up nicely.

I turned the ground chicken into a bowl and added 1-1.5 lbs of ground turkey and mixed them together (this is where food grade plastic gloves come in handy. I don't mind handling raw ground beef or other raw meats, but ground turkey and chicken just weejes me out). I added in a couple teaspoons or a tablespoon or more of Old Bay Lemon & Herb seasoning and an equal amount of Johnny's garlic ceasar and mixed that in. Since we are talking raw poultry here, I didn't sample the mixture for taste like I would ground beef.

I made patties out of the mixture and popped them onto the rack inset into a sided cookie sheet and into the oven at 350F. I inserted a probe thermometer to keep track of the temp since we are cooking poultry here.

Oh my, totally yummy! I didn't have any hamburger buns, so I served them on 100% stone ground wheat bread with some sharp chedder cheese sauce drizzled over them (a white cheese probably would have been better, but it was good anyways). They were flavorful and moist.

I brought one for lunch today and had it with some spinach and tomato cous cous I had leftover from the other night:

Churkey burger and cous cous

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know why, but the word "churkey" makes me smile.
JeanC said…
Hehehehe, it is a fun word isn't it :D

Popular Posts