Turkey day countdown and shopping list

A little over a week til the big day, so I've started my shopping list and am figuring out my plan of action. I'll prep the pies this weekend. I will put them together and put the uncooked pies in the freezer so I can pull them out when needed and bake.

Side dishes will also be done over the weekend and a couple days before hand and frozen, tho I will cook them so I can simply reheat in the microwaves.

I will make the bread for the stuffing over the course of several days. I like to use challah (an egg bread) and can make that in the breadmaker. I will do whole wheat bread in the oven.

So my shopping list so far:

turkey (biggest we can get)
yams
brown sugar
butter
potatos
celery
wine
pecans
eggs
cream cheese
cranberry jelly
appetizers (will either get already made ones or come up with somthing)
canned pumpkin (4 cups)
evaporated milk (1 1/2 cups)
4 deep dish pie shells

I'll be adding to this list as I think about the menu. I'm pretty set in what I serve, turkey, gravy, stuffing, potatos, yams, desert, rolls and such. Nothing really fancy. Hubby loves his stuffing tho, so i am looking at making a big crockpot full of extra, so am looking at recipes for that. I don't like stuffing/dressing made with dried croutons or bread crumbs, I prefer using fresh/day old bread of several different types. But I think I can come up with a pretty decent crockpot dressing that I can do a bit different then what goes in the bird.

Oh fribble, have to see about getting a new probe thermometer. I keep killing the probes. Unfortunately trying to get replacements locally is a pain since they don't sell the replacements except online. Last time we eneded up getting a whole unit that was cheap, but the probe fit my Taylor. It ended up being cheaper then trying to order a replaceent online, so will porbably hit Shopko and get another one (which gives ne an ANOTHER spare timer) since I rely on the probe thermometer to keep an eye on the bird without having to continually open the oven to ue the instant read thermometer.

Comments

Popular Posts