Taco soup

A good simple recipe that newbies to the kitchen can do is Taco Soup. There are lots of recipes out there, most are the open can, open seasoning packet, dump in pot and heat. These are good recipes and great for parties becasue everyone can bring a couple of the components and make a big pot of soup for all.

This is my recipe which is a step up, but still simple:



1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
2 cans kidney beans with liquid
2 cans black beans with liquid
2 - 3 cups frozen sweet corn (or you can use 2 cans of canned corn
with liquid)
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 packet taco seasoning or 2 TBS homemade (I've decided to start
making my own as I have many friends who are gluten intolerant and
many of the commercial packets contain wheat in someway)
1 can tomatos sauce
optional secret ingredient: 1/4 cup powdered, dehydrated zucchini and
squash to sneak in extra vitamins and such for reluctant hubbys and
kids :D
2 - 3 cans of water


The cans are the standard sizes, 15 oz or so. If using a crock pot, dump all ingredients into it and let simmer all day. If a quick meal, add ingredients to a big pot, cook on medium to medium high about half an hour, stirring occasionally.









Serve with your choice of:

shredded cheese
diced onions
diced tomatos
sour cream
or whatever sounds like it would be good on it.

Fair warning, taco soup is very filling and delish and it is hard to keep from eating it until you burst.

Comments

Karla said…
Hello Jean C, I'm Karla and I have seen you on the Taste Everything Once forums. This recipe for Taco Soup looks very easy and good, I bet my kids would even like it! I will need to make this soon as the weather is cooling down now. Have a great weekend!
Anonymous said…
Hi Karla, welcome to my kitchen :)

Your kids should like taco soup as you can add whatevr condiments to it and make it as spicy or not as you like.

Popular Posts